Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Timeline

I think everyone knows that when someone is given a closing date, it is pretty arbitrary! Yes, you might not close on time. Yes, it may be a week later. Yes, things may go wrong. But, I don't think anyone ever thinks it is going to happen to them.

I was skeptical from the start. I didn't really think we would close on the 28th. The issue with closing on time for us stemmed from the fact that we had to move out of our house on the 30th, AND there was a $100 a day penalty that we incurred if we didn't close on time. These two factors caused me to lose A LOT of sleep over the past two months. Pat wanted to discuss schedules, buy refrigerators, set up deliveries, painters, carpet, etc. I just kept telling him that I would plan for it once we closed on the house, or got some sort of confirmation we were going to close. The Friday before we were set to close (closing was on a Tuesday), we were still waiting on the inspection report to come in. As of Friday evening, the inspection wasn't in, but according to Eddy at compASS bank, if it came in Monday morning, we could still close on Tuesday. BIG FAT LIE!

Once the inspection came in late Monday afternoon, it wasn't reviewed until Tuesday (THE DAY WE WERE SET TO CLOSE!). It was determined that we needed to put additional money down because the house was in a declining market (WHAT HOUSE ISN'T these days), and we had to put money in escrow for carpet, a window and an interior door. ONE the window had already been replaced and documentation had been sent, two the amount they were estimating carpet to be was ludicrous (HELLO Avilez Carpet and Tile), and three we planned on replacing the interior door because it had a hole in it, but isn't that cosmetic and up to me whether or not we want to freaking replace the door?

We agreed to all of these items because let's face it. We didn't have any options, and we needed somewhere to live, and we needed to close FAST! So, it was said by Eddy that we should close Wed or Thursday. On Wednesday, we were still getting no answers, so Pat found a random number on the inspection report and called it. This lady at compASS bank, is seriously the only good thing I can say about the bank. She told Pat that on June 17th she emailed Eddy and told him that we weren't going to be able to close on the 28th, and that our new closing date was to be July 13th. She never heard back from Eddy (WHO PAT CALLED EVERY SINGLE DAY!), and so she assumed the new closing date was fine.

This lady, Margie or Martie, I can't remember her name was an ANGEL! She pushed everything through so quickly, she gave Pat her own personal cell number, she got it done. And her supervisor, equally as helpful. If anyone deserves a gift basket, it is this woman. It was in final review by Thursday, and she got it done.

We are now up to Friday, Pat went to the Title office and sat there ALL DAY. The title company wasn't going to look at it on Friday because they assumed we knew that it would be 48 hours from the time it got to their office. Pat explained to her the situation, and she literally did everything in her power to get it done on Friday. She also deserves a smaller gift basket because she wasn't very nice about all of it, but she still did it. My next post will be about the phone call I got while I was in my bathing suit at the Pointe stating that I needed to get to the title company as fast as possible (picture AMAZING RACE!). We signed the papers on Friday, but the seller didn't sign them in time, so we had to wait to close until Tuesday.

When Pat met the realtor at the home to unload the U-Haul on Tuesday evening, the lock box wasn't working, so they couldn't get the keys out. Once again, the phone calls started and it was a little dramatic. Thankfully Pat's dad, Jim, had some tools in his truck, they CUT the lock box off and smashed it to get into the house. Nothing says, "Welcome Home!" like smashing a box to get the keys. They managed to get everything into the garage before the Haboob hit (a whole other posted is needed about this word too!)

So now, it is all about finding everything that is wrong, getting it painted, carpeted, and unpacking to find the stuff we need for Seattle. But, the kids and I are at my mom's house until Saturday, and we are pretending we are jet setting celebrities that pop in and out and take off on trips on a whim. I bought a whole new wardrobe at Old Navy yesterday because I seriously have NO IDEA where all my clothes are, storage unit or garage? It has been such a disaster, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it with anyone other than Pat. He has been such a trooper, and he has shown that no matter what happens, he will always take care of us!


Pain to Purpose said...

Sorry it's been such a rough time! Glad to hear that Pat is taking good care of you all! Sounds like his dad is a good man also. (didn't I read another post on your blog how he saved the day once with a car battery?) Good men come from good fathers. Can't wait to see what greatness your son will grow to become. (Mommies have a lot to do with it too!)

Cynthia said...

I was the same way about not looking at anything for the house until everything was signed. Brooks was annoyed and thought I wasn't excited, it was more a self-preservation tactic - didn't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed. So glad it all is over for you and now the fun begins ;-)