Please keep Kim and her family in your prayers tonight. She lost her brave battle with colon cancer this afternoon!
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Jackson had a GREAT first day at school! His favorite part was playing on the playground. I am not allowed to go Hawaii because there are dangerous things there like volcanoes and animals that will hold you in the water. I should find a different beach to go to-maybe this school isn't going to work out after all! One day, and the kid is already telling me NOT to go to Hawaii! OH NO! He walked out the gate of the school and ripped his shirt out of his shorts telling me that tucking his shirt in is ANNOYING!
Tyler met her teachers. She was a little shy at first, but she did answer several questions and tell them that Mrs. Maxwell is going to pick her up one day. Too bad that's not until the end of next month, LOL! She is going to be talking about that for awhile!
Posted by Colleen at 12:56 PM
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
1. Yesterday was NOT a good day in the Howell house, TODAY is a new day! Pray for us!
2. Jackson had a homework assignment, and we completed it last night, it is all his own work, except that I had to glue the picture on because I picked it up after he went to bed, quite the change from last year's project! I would like you to know that ALL of the jagged lines are staircases leading up the house for all of the different ANIMALS he put in our house (if you don't know us, WE HAVE NONE!)! There is an octopus, beaver (WTF?), dog, I can't even remember all the rest. I heard octopus and beaver, and I pretty much checked out!
3. I think "homework" for this age is STUPID, the parents end up having to worry about it.
4. His Transformers backpack is RIDICULOUSLY large!
5. My kids are ridiculously well behaved in public, to the point that Pat and I can sit back and laugh at the other people who have to chase after their kids. At the next party, you can catch us on the couch with our beverage of choice! HOLLA!
6. Just because they are well behaved in public, DOES NOT MEAN they are well behaved at home! I have had to put in A LOT of hard work to get them to where they are at. I used to be too proud to brag, NOW, not so much, some people just aren't willing to do the work!
7. I know that Tyler will eventually break the finger sucking, but DAMN, it is not cute, and it grosses me out!
8. Next Ten on Tuesday, Pat and I will be in Seattle eating at all the yummy restaurants I have researched the crap out of, well he will be working, and I will be eating! YAY!
9. My computer still sucks-forget jewelry, the key to my heart is a new computer!
10. Thank you to Cynthia for mailing Tyler the coveted PINK Spiderman t-shirt, couldn't find it here, and she mailed me one, what an amazing friend!
Posted by Colleen at 2:23 AM
Monday, August 24, 2009
I have made these "cookies" a few times in the last few weeks. Mainly because they are FREAKING SIMPLE! You buy store bought peanut butter cookie dough-roll small pieces in balls, place them in a mini muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for about 15-17 minutes. When starting to brown, place unwrapped mini snickers in the center of each and push down (forms a little cup), sprinkle with M & M candies, return to oven for about 2 minutes. The original recipe didn't call for this, but I think it makes them SOOOOO much softer and gooey!
Posted by Colleen at 11:50 AM
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Yesterday, I spoke about being able to "fire" my kids. Meaning when they don't listen, they are out! Well, I was telling Pat my feelings, and Jackson overhears me saying that I want to "fire" him! He tells me that I cannot fire him because it would really hurt! I start laughing, of course this is the real reason I stay home with my kids because it is freaking HYSTERICAL! He proceeds to tell me that my head can't hurt if I am laughing! HA! I tell him that I am going to fire him, I will put him on a stick like a S'more! He tells me that he won't fit. I told him I would find a stick big enough and toast him up on a graham cracker!
THESE ARE THE MOMENTS I STAY HOME FOR! What a goofball!
Posted by Colleen at 7:00 AM
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Stay at Home Moms DO NOT GET THE RESPECT THAT THEY DESERVE, and I for one am FLIPPING SICK OF IT! It is HARD to stay at home with your kids.
You never have ANY time to yourself. . .
1. Nap time (the kids of course), there is no guarantee that the kids will actually sleep, you usually are on edge, listening for any sound that may possibly wake them, listening for any random noises they make, trying desperately not to make any noise while they are sleeping, which means that showering or going to the bathroom yourself are out of the question because those could cause noise!
2. Leads me to trying to pee or, heaven forbid, poop by yourself. I guarantee that if you are at a job out of the home, no one is in the bathroom with you or pounding down the door to get into the bathroom with you. If you happen to sneak into the bathroom without anyone knowing, I guarantee that World War 5,400 will occur right when you sit down.
3. Even driving in the car requires a complete test of your patience. My kids don't like the song that is on, someone is looking at them the wrong way, someone dropped something, I swear it is never ending. I for one, would LOVE to be stuck in "rush hour" traffic, a place that I am certain comes to a complete stand still because parents who work outside the home are driving as slow as humanly possible so that they don't have to enter the dungeon.
People think that you have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD. . .
1. When our water heater broke last week, and we were without water for about three days, our landlord apparently thought that since I am a stay at home mom, that meant it was easier for me to call all the people that needed to be called, rather than HIS wife because "She works, and then when she gets home she has to take care of the kids!" Um, pretty sure her office would be a much more suitable environment to call from than a person who is at home with her kids and can't control them.
2. I feel like I have a mental disability when I am on the phone with just about anyone. I will be trying to listen, BUT at the same time making multiple hand gestures, mouthing obscene words to my kids that they had better stay away from me while I am on the phone, and in the end I end up yelling anyway because NO ONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD LISTENS TO ME!
The ability to FIRE SOMEONE. . .
1. If someone that works with/for you doesn't listen, they are fired!
2. If someone that works with/for you can't follow simple directions, they are fired!
3. If someone that works with/for you talks back, they are fired!
4. A stay at home mom cannot fire her children!
OMG, and don't even get me started on the whole, Stay at Home Moms who send their kids to preschool/private school are independently wealthy or can't handle the pressure of staying at home with their kids!
1. Preschool has been an equal partner in helping my kids become the amazing children that they are today! I am having a LOVE AFFAIR with my child's preschool.
2. Preschool/private school costs a pretty penny. Don't think for one second that I wouldn't rather be driving my new suburban, cruising to Hawaii, buying the house down the street with a gigantic garage that houses a basketball court, etc. IT IS A FREAKING SACRIFICE TO SEND MY KIDS TO THE SCHOOLS THEY ATTEND!
3. Can't handle the pressure, we will leave that up to the adoring public because my kids have been out of school for awhile, and apparently I AM LOSING MY MIND! However, I don't think it means I can't handle it, I just like to think of it as working overtime for several weeks in a row, and really, wouldn't that grate on your nerves too?
*DISCLAIMER* This is not meant to be a dig on people who work outside the home, just a personal vent, something I needed to get off my chest because I don't feel a lot of people consider SAHM a "REAL JOB"!
Posted by Colleen at 3:41 PM
Monday, August 17, 2009
1. I am REALLY excited that Jaclyn is joining the Fantasy Football League this year!
2. Pat and I are going to Seattle for about 36 hours at the end of the month, and I am SOOOOOOO excited, I have always wanted to go there!
3. I am REALLY struggling this week with the kiddos. I thought that they were great fun overall, but I think two weeks with no school is about my limit. Maybe next year when they are a little older it will be three weeks, but the incessant whining, complaining, neediness, etc. Mama needs a break (this is foreshadowing for my future blog about stay at home moms)!
4. I would just like to shower or pee without some sort of interruption!
5. Pretty sure the tooth that has needed a crown for two years now, probably needs a root canal since it makes my head hurt all day long, BUT who really has over a thousand dollars to give to the dentist. Maybe I need to put it on my sponsorship blog!
6. I absolutely LOVE my new hair cut. I haven't decided if I love the way it looks, BUT it seriously takes TWO seconds to do! And, since I can't shower or pee without an interruption, imagine what happens when I try to do my hair!
7. I am thankful that my mom is going to watch the kids this weekend, I think it is the break I need. We are going to a birthday party at Geisha a Go Go this Saturday, and I think it looks like a really neat place!
8. Two restaurants I have been dying to try: The Pasta Bar and Barrio Cafe. Anyone been, have reviews, know anything?
9. Sad when I think about my life in terms of Ten on Tuesday posts. Next Tuesday morning, we will be at the Swanky School Open House/Meet the Teacher/See the Classroom, one day after that, school begins, but not full time people, just 3.5 hours, a little teaser to the following week when they go from 7:45-1:45-PRAISE JESUS!
10. I am dehydrated-think I will go drink a bottle of wine, there is water in wine, RIGHT?????
Posted by Colleen at 5:13 PM
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Still have not received ANY feedback on my first sponsorship blog, but I thought it was a fun post, and I would be interested in what items y'all are coveting, so why not throw ours out there, if you need me to send you my address so that you can mail me a check, or I am willing to give my bank account # for direct deposit, HA!
SUBURBAN-I know some of you think I am crazy, but a suburban is something I truly believe I need! I need my trunk space, if I put the third row up, poof, the trunk is gone, so for five people to ride in my car, the fifth person has to squeeze in between the two ENORMOUS car seats! The trunk was packed when we left town for three nights, and last but not least, I have wanted a suburban since I turned 16. I really thought a brand new navy blue suburban was going to be on my driveway, with a bow of course, needless to say, this has been a lifelong dream! Good thing I didn't get navy because now I want black! The warranty on my current car is about to run out as well, and we all now how this household feels about warranties, LOVE THEM!
PIZZA DAY-At the new Swanky School Jackson will be attending, you don't just get to pay for pizza day the day of pizza day, you have to pre-pay for all 32 pizza days by September something, the total is over a $150! Anyone have an extra $150 lying around for pizza!
TRIMMER/EDGER-our grass area looks ridiculous because we don't have one of these, but I just don't want to spend the money on one because our grass area is seriously the size of a rug, ridiculous!
COMPUTER-my computer is ridiculously slow, it often interferes with my ability to play Sorority Life, TRAGIC I KNOW!
DANCE/GYM CLASS-not for me, that would be crazy, but for Miss Tyler, she is obsessed, and I think it would be good for her, these classes are NOT CHEAP!
Posted by Colleen at 4:22 PM
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
What an amazing time we had this weekend in Prescott! I absolutely LOVE everything about Donna's house there. The decorations, furniture, bedding, pictures, paintings, bowls, cabinets, counters, etc. I swear, I completely understand why she loves it there so much! She was so generous letting us stay there, and it was AMAZING to be able to escape the heat!
If this isn't reason enough for me to NEED a suburban, I don't know what is! I have another sponsorship blog coming up, and I plan on allowing any of my adoring readers to buy me a suburban if they so desire, sooooo, just keep this picture in mind!
Friday afternoon, we hit the park in Donna's community. . .so much fun! Especially fun because they had all of these "grown up" jungle gyms, so Pat and I had fun trying those out. Next to Anthem, it is probably the best play set I have ever seen! It is probably better than Anthem, but Anthem still wins because it has walk up ramps to the slides, and I still worry about my little Tyler Gracie climbing tall ladders to get to the top of the slides!
Will I ever get a good picture of them together?
Jackson absolutely LOVED using the binoculars to look for animals. We saw cows, horses and birds! He would wake up every morning just DYING to go look for the animals!
They both thought the over sized rocker belonged to them. At one point they are working together to rock it!
Saturday morning we had a GREAT game of baseball. While Jackson has been able to hit without the tee for awhile now, Miss Thing is all set to play some baseball of her own. HOW AWESOME is this field, in the community where Donna's house is? The kids were so proud of themselves for hitting the ball and running to first!
That night we had some s'mores! DELICIOUS!
AND, our first annual Texas Hold 'Em Tourney that yours truly won! YAY!
Notice anything different about Jackson (AND, do you love the wreath on the front door)???
Sunday morning we went to the Art Festival in Downtown Prescott, we bought some dip mixes, and I was googly eyed over all the pottery bowls that are really expensive, but I love. We had a great lunch at the Prescott Brewing Company , and I got some Amish Caramels from Pralines of Prescott, both of which are located in Bradshaw Court! (Prescott is so laid back that I even used my bright pink backpack, can't remember the last time I used one!)
Does anyone else think this family needs new pajamas? Check out my Christmas pajamas, Jackson has Halloween ones on in a picture, I swear I only buy pajamas for the holidays, except Pat, he seems to have oodles of pajamas that aren't holiday oriented! That's cause he can fit into anything!
THANKS DONNA FOR ALLOWING US TO HAVE THIS AMAZING WEEKEND!
Posted by Colleen at 5:50 AM
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
1. Always lets me choose the restaurant-that one was easy because I am obviously skilled in that area, HA! Just ask Claire, I am 3 for 3 when helping her/Justin select a restaurant! The key is knowing what the other person likes to eat!
2. Gets up with the kids in the middle of the night when they need something! If one gets sick (throws up), he will let me put the child back to sleep and worry about them, while he cleans up the throw up (BLAH)!
3. While he probably thinks this one annoys me, I think it is hysterical that he checks for bugs all over the freaking house about twenty times a day. I mean, we are talking face to the floor, flashlight in hand, looking under beds, it is insane, but cute that he worries about scorpions and snakes attacking our children!
4. Tells me I look like I have lost weight, even though the scale doesn't agree! He then tells me to go buy a new scale because that one is obviously broken!
5. Is almost always on my side! He probably thinks I am crazy, most of the time I am, but if it is me vs. someone else, I am always right! Now, if I could just convince him that when it is me vs. him, I AM STILL ALWAYS RIGHT!
6. Gives the kids a bath/shower, the worst part of parenting, I swear it is, I HATE cleaning our children!
7. Never quits trying. The man is relentless. When it comes to his job, relationship, kids, etc. He will not take no for an answer and goes after it! Sometimes it can be annoying, but for the most part, it makes him the man he is today!
8. Isn't afraid to go to the store and buy "girly" supplies! He takes Jackson with him, and hopefully Jackson will do the same for his significant other one day!
9. Loves romantic comedies, now if some of the stuff he loves about romantic comedies could happen in my life, we could make it 10 more years, LOL!
10. Gave me the two most amazing children anyone could ever ask for!
Posted by Colleen at 7:01 AM
Monday, August 10, 2009
Hey y'all! I don't know about you, but I can always use some salon or spa time, especially when it is for a good cause. If you don't know about my friend, Kim, check her story out on the right side of the page ------->
I will be getting a new do Wednesday night, so if anyone wants to make a night of it and follow up our treatments with some wine, you know I am game! Pedicures, spa treatments, you name it! Check out their website!
Posted by Colleen at 3:08 PM
Monday, August 3, 2009
ONE-the number of pictures I took while on our staycation!
TWO-the number of Eggs Benedict I ate-MY FAVORITE!
THREE-bites of Dippin' Dots that I stole from Jackson.
FOUR-hours, the length of time Jackson was supposed to spend at Camp Hyatt, until he promised he would nap instead, he didn't nap!
FIVE-number of pillows I needed to sleep comfortably at the hotel! Which wasn't very comfortable at all, but I never sleep well away from home, so this time it didn't bother me so much!
SIX-number of appetizers we ordered at the Lobby Bar on Saturday night! We didn't really want a big sit down meal, so we just pretended we were at a tapas bar, LOL! One was a cheese plate, I was happy!
SEVEN-the time the restaurant opened and my starving children could eat breakfast!
EIGHT-number of bathing suits we brought with us to the hotel for a 24 hour stay!
NINE-TIMES TWO, the number of beers I think Pat drank while at the hotel!
TEN-number of pools they have at Hyatt Gainey Ranch! One is an Adult Pool, and I was desperate to enter, bar, television, music, quiet, etc!
Posted by Colleen at 5:51 PM
Anyone who knows Tyler, knows what a difference "preschool" has made in her life! I have nothing but love and respect for her no-nonsense teacher, Miss Katie! Tyler falls right into line and does everything she is asked in that classroom. I will miss going to drop Tyler off with her. I always knew she was in GREAT hands!
Posted by Colleen at 8:01 AM