Thursday, May 28, 2009

"Go to Your Room!"

The house we are moving to on SUNDAY (I am not excited or anything!), doesn't have a playroom! It has one less bedroom too, so we are losing a lot of "space"-almost same size house, just arranged differently, you know how those walls and doors help hide things you don't really want seen.

Anyway, when my sister and I were younger, and we did something bad, we had to sit on a chair in the middle of our room doing nothing. I am sure it wasn't always for an hour, but towards the end, which is what I remember, it was an hour. It was TORTURE!!! I cannot stand doing NOTHING! Probably why I don't really enjoy movies. I can't just sit there and stare at the television for two hours. Don't get me wrong, I love TV, but I prefer it WITH commercials, so I can get up, do something and feel productive!

Since becoming a parent, I have heard that you are not really supposed to have your child's room associated with punishment because then they won't want to sleep there. So, for the most part, I agreed with the idea, until a little more recently. NOW, I put them in their rooms so that they don't injure one another, or so I don't hurt Tyler during one of her many crying spells :-)! Their rooms here have NOTHING in them. A bed, dresser, a few pictures, but no toys. So, it is really not a treat for them to go in there. At the new house, their rooms will hold all the toys from the playroom, and I am sure eventually more!

So my friends, it looks like it is once again time to take a page out of my parent's book and stick them on a chair in the middle of their room! LOOKING at all the toys they COULD play with if they could ONLY learn how to behave! I don't think I will be able to get away with an hour yet, but ooooh, what a great tactic!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Our house has 3 bedrooms and an open "great room" so we have no walls to hide anything and it bugs me to no end. Brandt has all of his toys in his room ... I make sure to purge regularly so they don't take over, but I also insist on keeping them confined to his area. If we don't find a larger house before baby #2, I will have to get even more creative with storage ... ugh!

Good luck with your move - I hope it goes smoothly.

Katie Thomson said...

I did not like this punishment! TORTURE! I am sure I will be doing it one day too!